The historic Flint Journal Building in downtown Flint was completely re-purposed into a dual-use structure containing Michigan State University’s (MSU) College of Human Medicine satellite campus in one portion and apartments in the other. The original building was comprised of a number of additions built in the 1920’s, 1950’s, and 1960’s.
Project scope included restoration of the historic lobby, a new elevator, restroom upgrades, fire separation zoning, roof replacement, and exterior modifications.
MSU’s portion included classrooms, a lecture hall, shared student space, and all associated finishes and furniture. The housing buildout resulted in 16 loft apartments on the second and third floors. Finishes included flooring, walls, ceiling, cabinets, counter tops, lighting, and plumbing fixtures.
This project brought a new presence to the growing educational corridor of downtown Flint, and added in-demand rental housing.